Monday, April 14, 2008

Grace Under Pressure

I once had four beloved children, children I knew I would be close to forever, but I was wrong. At the end of August, my son, Claiborne, found his father, my former husband, dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head. Clay had Asperger's Syndrome, and even though he was "high functioning," he wasn't able to overcome such shock and horror. Two months later, on Saturday evening, October 27, 2007, Clay took his own life by plunging to his death from a 13-story building in downtown Houston. When my two adult daughters and I gathered together for Clay's final arrangements, they united against me, and we became permanently estranged.

In January, my husband of 25 years was diagnosed with lung cancer. So this is a journal about surviving, something which I'm trying to figure out one day at a time.

Courage is grace under pressure. Ernest Hemingway

Elle

No comments: